Frequently Asked Questions

Is Appalachian State University a Military Friendly University?

A Military-Friendly University since 2010, Appalachian offers two VA Education Benefits specialists, a coordinator of student veteran services, the Major General Edward M. Reeder, Jr. Student Veteran Resource Center on campus, transfer credit for military education and experience, specialized advising and orientation for military-affiliated and veteran students, and honor cords for graduating veterans and service members.

Will I receive credit for military experience and coursework?

Yes! Veterans and service members can receive transfer credit for Health and Physical Education plus up to 8 hours of Military Science credit. Additional transfer credit for SMART transcripts and post-secondary education may be available. For more information please see The Office of Transfer Services. To avoid paying any possible tuition surcharge, please discuss your intentions with military academic advisor, Bob Gibbard (

How affordable is Appalachian State University?

Kiplinger's Magazine, Forbes Magazine, and U.S. News and World Report have all endorsed Appalachian State University as a "best buy." In addition, qualified non-resident members of the U.S. armed forces and their qualified dependents may be eligible for a military tuition rate less than the non-resident rate charged to out-of-state students. To access filing deadline information and military tuition application forms, please access "Determining Residency for the Purposes of Tuition" and "Application for the Benefit of a Reduced Tuition Rate as a Member of the Armed Services or Dependent Relative Thereof" [pdf 48k], which describes the eligibility criteria.

How do I get started using my VA Education Benefits at Appalachian?

Specialists in the Office of Student Financial Aid administer VA education benefits. Information and forms are available through our military education benefits page. Or contact us by phone at (828) 262-2190 or send email to benefits certifying officer Jennifer Coffey at

Does Appalachian State University offer military-specific advising and orientation?

Yes. Veterans and other military-affiliated students are provided with targeted orientation and advising by General Education Advisor Bob Gibbard, an army veteran. You may phone him at (828) 262-3039 or email him at contact him at

What degrees does Appalachian State University offer for veterans and service-members?

Often, veterans wishing to build upon military training and interests choose a major in nursing, health sciences, psychology, computer science, or communications. In all, Appalachian State University offers degrees in more than 150 programs to help you meet your goals. Click here to view our undergraduate programs.

What is the deployment policy at Appalachian State?

Students who are deployed during the school year will be offered a military drop without academic or financial penalty for coursework that cannot be completed. For more general information about withdrawal and course reduction policies, please see Withdrawal Information.

What services are available to students at Appalachian State University?

Appalachian is committed to the success of its veterans and military-affiliated students. Veterans and military members may access the student health center even if you normally visit a VA clinic. Mental health counselors at the psychological services and counseling center have had targeted training to meet the needs of veterans, military members, and their families. Veterans who have been away from school for some time may find the services available through learning assistance and tutoring helpful.

Is there a campus veterans association?

Absolutely. Look for details at and check out their Facebook page!

What community veterans groups are nearby?

Many veterans organizations have local chapters, including: